Saturday, March 27, 2010

Breaking Up with Facebook

(originally posted February 3, 2010)


I'd say it's safe to assume that no one really likes rejection, or break-ups. However, sometimes break-ups are "for the best" and there's a lot of freedom that can be found through the emotions of separation.

Tonight, I broke up with Facebook.  My mind drifts back to the day in college where my roommate and I both created our accounts, not knowing what a networking tool this site would become over the coming years.  I remember when Facebook was uncomplicated-- it had no farms, aquariums, stickers, hugs, hearts, or mafia ninja's hanging around-- it was just a cool way of keeping in touch.  And it still is-- to some degree.

I have threatened to deactivate my account many times, and right when I was about to, a long lost friend would send me a message or post on my wall and then I would bargain with myself the value of keeping my account.  I'll admit that at times, I've been a Facebook addict-- one day, I literally counted that I checked it 26 times (and I wouldn't doubt that there were days that I checked it more.)  (Don't judge-- you know you've possibly done this too.) Every time you get a notification that someone has sent you a message... posted on your wall... commented on the comment that you left... you can't just NOT check it. There were times that the thought of not having Facebook was ridiculous and I could never muster the courage to even look into deactivating. However, today was the day.

Right now, there are a lot of changes going on in my life and I've decided since they're happening and didn't ask my permission to, I might as well throw in a few changes that I actually have control over-- i.e. Facebook.  I just felt like it was time to take a break-- not be so consumed with it for the moment, and consume my life with other things I need to focus on more right now, like Jesus, people, love, life, compassion, etc.  (And did I mention I'm writing a thesis? Facebook + Thesis = Facebook. not a good equation)

By no way am I saying that Facebook is bad--- it's not.  I'm a big fan.  However, for the time being, we're having a little break-up and I'm relieved.  I'm about to wade the waters of life without Facebook and I'm not sure what that looks like.

Will I be back on it at some point? Most likely, yes.  It may be a week from now-- 2 weeks- 2 months-- who knows.  I do enjoy the benefits of keeping up with friends, and hope that I will still be able to now-- and whenever I'm back on.

I literally just thought to myself-- "I should send out a FB message to people letting them know a new blog post is up" -- I promise I just completed that entire thought, and then realized that I can't. Hmmm, maybe this will be harder than I think......