Saturday, March 27, 2010

Salute to New Music Tuesday.

(originally posted January 26, 2010)


I have an addiction to iTunes. (or so says my credit card bill)

I have always loved music-- it's been a part of my life since before coming out of the womb.  I'm positive that my mom must've sang to me every day while she was pregnant.  At the age of 4, I declared that I wanted to play the piano and have had a love/hate relationship with it since. (It was a first love... then hate when I was teenager having to play in recitals... and I'm happy to report that it's back to love now.) I have tried my hand at writing songs (not quite like Taylor Swift though, haha).  I took violin lessons both as a child, and a college student. I remember that the greatest gift I got for my 7th birthday was "The Bodyguard Soundtrack" cassette.  My very first CD was Faith Hill, and I played that thing over and over and over.  I know that a lot of people have a passion for music, and I'm proud to be in that group.  I cannot imagine life without the melodies and words that have helped me through life.

With all of this said, when digital music came about, I was PUMPED.  Of course at first I was young and didn't quite understand that there was such a thing as illegally downloading.  However, when iTunes came along, the thought of being able to buy a song (and not an entire album that I only liked one track and hated the other 15) was fantastic.  I was like a kid in a candy store (except the candy is music).  Since that time, I've become an iTunes addict.  (I try to justify this by saying that there are much worse things I could be "addicted" to.) I find great pleasure in previewing new songs, especially by new, "somewhat undiscovered" artists.  I have even been known to predict a few big hits BEFORE they became in big hits. (It all started in 7th grade, when I predicted in Mr. Griffith's technology class that  "Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry would be big.) (It was-- don't act like you didn't love that song. haha) If you'd like to call me a musical oracle, I'll answer to it. :)

Part of my joy with iTunes is what I like to call "New Music Tuesdays."  As any avid music fan would know, new tunes are released on Tuesdays.  (Takes me back to the Tuesday that I got up extra early so that my mom could take me to Wal-Mart BEFORE school to buy the new Backstreet Boys "Millenium" album.) One of the small joys currently in my life is "New Music Tuesday," BUT especially when I forget what day of the week it is.... such as today.  This afternoon, I came home, checked my email, opened iTunes to listen to some jams (yes, I just called them jams) and then my mind came to a halt---- "What day is today??" ---- (thinking)----- TUESDAY!!!! Believe it or not, this brings a grin to my face and I go on the hunt to preview the latest albums.  Is this crazy? Perhaps.  But then again, I LOVE MUSIC.

Today I was super excited to listen to Lady Antebellum's new album (which is fantastic and will have several big hits--- remember that the music oracle predicted this when it actually happens, haha), as well as live sessions with Colbie Caillat.  ANDDDDD, if life wasn't already great with it being Tuesday, one of my ALL-TIME-FAVORITE artists, Dave Barnes, has the most amazing single out today.  Pllleeeeeaaasssssee go check out "God Gave Me You" on iTunes or somewhere.... you won't regret it. As if I didn't love this man before with tunes like "Until You," "Nothing Fancy" and about a million more, this one might be one of his BEST yet. Beautiful voice, music and lyrics.

I could go on and on-- but I'll stop. I love music and I love that I have a love like music.  Happy New Music Tuesday!!