Monday, January 10, 2011

Day #10

#10: Don’t get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

I will be the first one to admit that I have been completely guilty of this, and am trying to improve. It’s always been important to me to get an education and find a job that I can really apply myself to and enjoy. I have that job, and feel that I’ve worked my way from the unpaid internships, volunteer hours, etc. to get there. However, even from the time I was fresh out of college, I jumped right into work and made that my top priority. I wanted to work my way up the career ladder and I did. However, once I made that step up (and move back home), I threw myself even more into my work, half because that’s what I do, and half because I was the new kid in town (who happened to be from out of town) and I had a lot to prove. Long hours. crazy hours. weekends. 12-passenger vans. Oh, and did I mentioned kids? I knew it was all part of the job, and I had willingly signed up for it.

I’m a fan of hard work. I think it’s important to be dedicated to a job you’ve committed to and do your best work always. I love my job. However, one year went by…. Two years went by… and one day, I finally read a sign that I had hanging in my office since the very first day on the job…
“Dear Lord, please help me not to be so busy making a living that I forget to make a life. Amen.”
It was as if a light from heaven appeared on that sign (insert angelic singing in the background here) and the Lord was actually saying, “Dear Jessica, You are way too busy trying to make a living. Slow down, and make a life. And make it a good one. Love, God.”

Again, careers are important. The money provided by these careers is important. Hard work is important. Goals are important. I have a great opportunity within my job to influence the lives of so many, especially youth, and I take that very seriously. However, if I’m not telling a good story with my entire life—especially life outside of work—then I know that my work will really not be complete.

Life is busy.
What consumes your time?
Do you make just a living? Or a life? Or both?
It’s possible to have both, but we must remember that loving God and loving people is what really matters, and the rest will fall into place.