Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day #16

#16: If you succeed the first time, try something harder.

I know we’ve all heard the saying “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” However, since I rarely seem to do or say things in a conventional way, I’d like to change that a bit to say “If at first you DO succeed, try, try again...and try something harder.”

I’m in no way being a “Debbie Downer” on success. (And if your name is Debbie and you’re reading this, I’m really sorry to associate you with being discouraged. I’m sure you’re great.) I love success! I love to attempt something and succeed. Within success there is a sense of pride and accomplishment that contributes to life. I love it when people around me give it their best and succeed. What I probably love the most is when the kiddo’s I work with try their hand at something and succeed. I don’t know a human that hates accomplishing a positive goal. I cannot picture Sandra Bullock accepting an Oscar by saying “Gosh, I wish I really hadn’t won this. I dedicated my whole life to working hard to get to where I am, but I really didn’t want to win this coveted award.” And if she really did say that, she’d be acting. It's her job.

In my mind, success has no real timeframe. It’s different for everyone. What takes you two weeks to accomplish might take me two years. However, no matter when we succeed, we can’t become complacent and think that was all we were meant to do.

Therefore, constructive and positive success is great. However, when you do succeed at something, KEEP TRYING. I’m not saying the first go-around at success wasn’t good enough, but I’m saying don’t stop with success. Keep setting goals. Keep working. Keep dreaming. Keep pushing yourself for further greatness. Keep making a difference in your life and the lives of others. Keep telling a better story every day.

If you succeed the first time, try something harder.