Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day #11

#11: See awful as AWEful.

Have you ever just had an awful day? The kind of day where nothing goes right, everything falls apart, and you wish there was a “re-do” button for the day? Sure you have…. We all have… sometimes more times that we think necessary.

When it’s one of those days, or when something happens that you just think is terrible, try seeing awful as AWEful.

Merriam-Webster (the ultimate defining guru) defines the word AWE as the following: "a strong feeling of respect, fear or wonder." When I think of times I’ve been in awe of something, it usually has to do with babies, nature and traveling. Most recently, I was in complete and utter awe at my first sight of the Grand Canyon. I’m not going to lie- I had tears in my eyes when I looked at its beauty and more so, thought of the beauty of the One who created it.

Can you think of a time you’ve been in awe of something? One of those take-your-breath-away moments? I’m going to guess it probably wasn’t on one of your worst days. However, imagine if every time something “awful” happened, or we were down on our luck, that we tried to find “awe” in it…. That we trusted that the Lord had a plan, and that we could still find some joy, respect, fear or wonder in the situation.

I challenge you to never look at “awful” the same again! Instead, be “AWEful!”