Monday, January 3, 2011

Day #3

Life Lesson, Day #3: "Don't just write a 'to do' list, write a 'to be' list."

I love 'to do' lists. I really do. It's not that I particularly like to be super busy (contrary to popular belief!) but I like to feel accomplished for the day, even if it's something small. For instance, writing today's blog was on today's 'to do' list. Some days if I feel like I'm not getting much done, I'll even write smaller things on the list just so I can cross them off. (Strange, I know.) There's just something about seeing a scribbled list with a bunch of lines through each item that brings some relief.

However, there came a point when I realized that my 'to do' lists were pretty insignificant. Yes, there are things at work that must be done and that is inevitable... but was there anything on my list that was really making a difference in my life, or the lives of others? More so, was there anything long-term that was going to help me tell a better story with my life? Sadly, the answer was no.

So I decided that instead of always just writing 'to do' lists, I would write a 'to be' list. What did I want 'to be'? What goals did I want to set? (short-term and long-term) What kind of person/daughter/friend/employee/teacher did I want to be? The list doesn't have to be complicated- it can be a list of words/adjectives, goals, etc. And once I made this list, I could incorporate it with my actual 'to do' list (because we know I couldn't give up that one) and it made life, as well as the non-optional 'to do' tasks, a lot easier.

So what's on your 'to do' list? More so, what's on your 'TO BE' list?

This year, I challenge you TO BE:
brave.
generous.
kind.
patient.
loving.
bold.
open to change.
confident in yourself and your abilities.
excited about life, no matter the circumstances.