Saturday, January 1, 2011

Life Lessons, Day #1

I'm baaaaack.
I never promised I would be speedy at this blogging thing, but this time I really have something to write about.

A few weeks ago, a good friend challenged me to think about the life lessons I'd learned in 2010 and share them... on Facebook. So, for the next 31 days of January, my daily Facebook status will be a lesson, quote or even song lyric (you know this music nerd couldn't forget lyrics as inspiration) that really inspired and helped me grow in the past year.

A quote on a status can be powerful, but I thought what a good way to elaborate on these lessons and maybe even inspire someone else by blogging about them too. It really is my goal to post a status AND a blog every day in January... and if I don't, don't be a hater-- you'll get double the next day! :)

Here we go....
Life Lesson #1: May we tell beautiful stories instead of waiting for them to happen to us.

I've previously blogged about this quote from Donald Miller's book "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years." This book, but especially this quote, helped me realize that with each breath I take, I am telling a story. I know we've all heard the cliche that life is a book and sometimes big events are the "beginning of a new chapter." This can be true, but I had to realize that you don't have to wait for "big events" (in my instance, marriage, graduation, kids, new career, etc.) to write a new chapter, change the way you're telling your story, etc.

Let's face it, "big events" may or may not happen in your life, especially when you want them to. Soooo, don't wait to do things you've been wanting to do or make changes you've been wanting to make until the "big event" happens. DO. IT. NOW.

I know in a time of New Year's resolutions, people have most likely reflected on their lives, situations, etc... but now that you've read my life lesson, think back on those reflections, and consider how YOU can tell a better story with your life RIGHT NOW... not 20lbs. from now, not a wedding from now, etc. I'm not saying those aren't good things and goals to have, but if you start telling a beautiful story with your life in the present, it'll be more meaningful in the end.

Are you pleased with your own story?? Nobody's life is perfect (I don't care what they tell you, it's not) but by loving, caring, and living a better life, your definition of "perfect" may change, and you will WANT to tell a more beautiful story every day.

Happy 2011!