Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day #6

#6: If you succeed the first time, try something harder.

In the quest to live more of my life, reach my goals and tell a better story, this quote makes perfect sense. A good friend shared this statement with me months ago during a time of defeat in my job, thesis-writing and life. Nothing seemed to be working out and I felt that everything I touched fell to shambles (don't act like you haven't had one of these days/months/years, I know you have).

Looking back, I'm very glad nothing came together the first go-around. If all of these things had succeeded the first time, I wouldn't have appreciated the work it took to finally succeed, and more so, how much I grew as a person during that time.

I'm not against succeeding my no means-- there's a great sense of pride in reaching a goal or accomplishment. It's a big deal! However, often times when we don't succeed the first time, we get angry. want to give up. pull the "self-entitlement" card on life. If we'd only look at our "failure" as a refinement process instead, we'd be less stressed, and enjoy that sweet success even more, no matter how many times it took to get there.

Life is going to have bumps along the way. It's a guarantee. I think that failure is actually a success in it's own right-- it shows you're human. And it helps you work harder at reaching that goal-- and in turn, becoming a better you. So don't give up!!

If you succeed the first time, try something harder.